Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Spring Visitors

We've had some unexpected houseguests this spring. For some time, this little pair has laid claim to our front yard as their home...and finally, they decided to build a home of their own under the eaves on our front porch. They're phoebes and at the moment they are my favorite bird. They eat the bugs around our pool and front yard and they are soooo adorable! I mean, how stinkin cute is he?

Several weeks ago we spotted their splattered, muddy nest as we were walking out our front door and I thought "Oh I hope they have little eggs in there!" I got my wish and have been watching eagerly for signs of life ever since. We've been carefully avoiding our front door as much as possible recently because there are, indeed, baby birds in there now. Mom and Dad have no qualms about dive bombing you as you walk through the porch so we figured we'd give them their space. Today we were out in the front yard having an impromptu playdate with Josh so as long as we were disturbing the nervous parents anyway, I threw caution to the wind and snuck a picture of the little ones peeking out of their nest.

There are four babies in there!!! I don't know how they all fit, especially when the mommy comes and sits on them! The lighting for the photo was bad and I didn't dare get too close so I had to fix it up a bit...but isn't that the sweetest thing ever?! I soooo hope I get to be there when they fledge. I peek at them through my window constantly throughout the day to see what they're up to.

The boys, on the other hand, couldn't have cared less about what was going on in that nest.


Here's Sam chillin on the front bench.

Wesley chowing on his toy fish.


Sammy sharing his ball with Josh.

1 comment:

Jen said...

So cute :) I hope you get your wish to be able to watch them leave!