Thursday, June 17, 2010

Empty Nest Syndrome

The birdies have left the nest!  It happened one Sunday morning.  I peered outside the door and one of the babies was just flying BACK to the nest.  The others were just hanging out around it but not exactly in it.


"OH! OH! I better get my camera!"  By the time I made it to the window, all four little birds were flying around our front lawn, resting on our bench, planter wall, grass, etc...just sitting there as if to say "Well what do we do now?!"   And YES, you read it right...there were FOUR!  I've never been so happy to be wrong in my life!  Those two lifeless little ones I thought had died somehow made it.  I noticed them several days earlier and thought I better not get my hopes up in case something happened but they survived and fledged!  Sofie is the proud mama of quadruplets and she successfully fed and nurtured them till they left the nest!  Good job Sofie!!!

This has been bittersweet.  I so looked forward to peeking outside to see what the baby birds were up to and how they had grown.  Now when I walk out my front door I see that empty little nest and I am reminded that some day my little fledglings will also leave home. 

Here's my little Condor in training at the Bank of America Children's Discovery Room.

Oh how I don't want that day to come too soon!
16 1/2 more years before you can even THINK about it
my little hatchlings!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I'm so glad that all four made it- so two were just ready to fly earlier than the others!

Who's going to clean up the mess they've left behind?

Jeff and Mindy said...

Jeff already cleaned the mountain of bird droppings on our porch but the empty nest remains.