Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Little Fresh Air

This week my doctor informed me that she would like to see me get out in a wheelchair now and then and get a little fresh air. At first I was hesitant. With a short cervix and a propensity towards contractions when I'm sitting up straight, even the lure of sunshine and a brief escape from my four drab hospital walls didn't quite seem worth the risk. But she convinced me. So yesterday my parents came by and took me out for a 15 minute spin in the wheelchair. It was really nice! It's surprising how quickly 15 minutes passes when you get your first taste of fresh air in 2 1/2 weeks!

Today I thought I was going to go stir crazy. I think somehow getting a look at the outside world just gave me a hunger for more. Thankfully, Jeff and I had a date this afternoon for another whirlwind trip out of doors and some take out food and a movie. It was so nice to spend time together...not what you would normally think of as a date since we never left the hospital grounds, but heaven for me just the same. I'm so thankfull for my wonderful, adorable husband!!!

In addition to my new wheelchair privileges, the doctor has ordered that I get up out of bed up to three times a day and be on my feet for 5 - 10 minutes at a time...ambulatory priviliges. This is to prevent problems with blood clots from being inactive for so long. In any case, I'm enjoying the freedom of allowing myself to get up to do little things for myself a few times a day instead of having to call the nurses for help. I have to say, whether it's the weeks of inactivity or the increasing amount of weight around my midsection, it feels REALLY WIERD to walk. I guess I dodn't really walk, I shuffle. Hopefully I'll get more used to it with time. We'll see.

Well, that's all the exciting news for now. More on Monday when the boys get measured again. I'm hoping they've reached two pounds by now. :)

3 comments:

Jen said...

That's wonderful news!!! I'm so happy for you :) Maybe you'll get to come home after all?

Anonymous said...

Hey min!

I've been following the blog for a bit now, I can't believe I haven't commented until now!

Glad to hear everything is going (somewhat) well! I have no clue what I'd be doing in your situation. (probably video games nonstop!)
-Jer
I'm glad you get to have some fresh air now! Hope to see you soon! Holidays at the very latest!

Mom / Bob said...

Hi Guys!
First time bloggers, however, we'd rather hear your sweet voice...
We're glad to hear you are doing well and "catching" a few rays by going outside.
We continue praying for you all every single day!
We will call you later..
Gentle hugs from,
Mom & Bob