Friday, November 7, 2008

One day at a time...

Tomorrow marks 26 weeks into the pregnancy. I'm still in the hospital and thanking God for each extra day the babies stay inside and grow bigger and stronger. As of Monday, they weighed in at 1 lb 12 oz and 1 lb 13 oz. So far so good!

People keep asking me if I'm going nuts lying in bed all day. But the truth is, God has given me the grace for each day. I just take it one hour at a time. I wake up around 7:00 or 7:30 each morning. I order my breakfast, read my bible and pray, listen to soothing music (I've read that it lowers stress in pregnant women), and try to do the exercises the physical therapist gave me before the nurse comes in to put my leg squeezers on (like plastic blowup leg warmers that massage my legs to keep the blood moving and prevent blood clots). Each morning the new nurse on duty for the day puts both babies on a heart monitor for anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour depending on how cooperative they are that day. They take turns avoiding the monitors. There must be something about the ultrasound that they don't like. After this, I read or knit or do some sudoku puzzles or talk to people on the phone. Then before you know it, it's time to order lunch. Sometimes I'll get a visitor in the afternoon. I've begun watching a show called Bringing Home Baby on TLC. This week has been multiples week so I've watched different families bring home their twins and triplets for the first time. It's been very eye opening. Am I boring you yet? I have a variety of activities to keep me busy throughout the day and around 5:00 I order dinner and Jeff comes to join me. When the night nurse comes on duty, the babies get monitored again. Once that is done, I pull out my computer or watch tv until I go to sleep. It's not an exciting life but the days are passing just fine and I should probably be thankful for the rest I get now because I'm not likely to get much if any for a long time to come once the twins arrive. :)

The plan for now is to keep me in the hospital until I hit at least 28 weeks. I've made it almost 2 weeks so far and the new medication they have me on appears to be keeping the contractions under control for now. Please pray that it continues to work because for now it means I don't have to be on an IV! Hurray! I've also had no side effects with this medication. Once I've reached 28 weeks the doctor will reassess my situation and possibly send me home for bedrest. We're just praying that God continues to give the doctors wisdom and direction.

In the meantime, I believe Jeff is carrying the heavier burden between us. He not only continues to work each day and picks up the slack for me at home, he also field phonecalls and questions and has added burdens of preparing the baby nursery and considering how all of this will affect us financially as a family. Early maternity leave caught us a little by surprise. To add insult to injury, he perferated an eardrum last week and has been in a lot of pain and not hearing out of his right ear. He could use a lot of prayer right now. Poor guy! He's been my angel, taking care of me and keeping me company in the evenings in addition to everything else on his plate these days.

Many many thanks to all our friends and family who have been showing their love and support through phone calls, visits, flowers, books, movies, snacks, magazines, offers to help. We feel so incredibly blessed to have so many amazing people in our lives! I don't know what we'd do without all of you!!!

No comments: