Sunday, February 22, 2009

Our Home Away From Home

I am sad to say that Samuel and Wesley have been sick this past week. On Friday, we became concerned enough to take Samuel to see the doctor because his cold had gotten worse and his breathing more labored. The doctor gave us a prescription that didn't end up helping and asked us to bring both boys in for an exam on Saturday. We were sent to the ER just to be on the safe side because the doctor wasn't comfortable with how either of the boys were breathing. In the end, Wesley went home with Jeff and Samuel and I stayed here at the hospital.

I find myself back in my old familiar haunt, ordering off the same menu, only now I'm not the patient. At least this time I can sleep by Samuel's bedside and I don't have to go home and leave him behind like we did when the boys were in the NICU, although, I miss my little Wesley (as well as my sweet husband, of course). Samuel and Wesley both have RSV but Samuel is having a more difficult time with it. He's not in serious condition but is on oxygen so he doesn't have to work so hard to breath. Today he's been a little better and has had a little more of an appetite than he has for a few days. There's no way to know for sure how long we'll be here. He needs to be eating better and be able to keep his oxygen levels up without help for 12 - 24 hours straight. For the most part he's comfortable. So far there has been no need for IV fluids and I pray it stays that way. I feel grateful to have the hospital facilities and staff available to monitor him and give him a chance to recover from this safely.

Please pray with us that the boys get through this quickly. There's no medication they can really take for it, just have to wait for the virus to run it's course.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Mindy,
I'm Linda Z's mom and have been following your blog recently. Your boys are beautiful.

I prayed for them as soon as I read this latest post and will continue to do so. May our Lord's healing touch be upon the twins and may you and your husband feel His comfort as you go through a scary time.

God bless you all.